Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Parent's 47th Wedding Anniversary

We hosted a Surprise Anniversary party for my parents this Sat to celebrate their 47 years together. After dinner I asked my mother, "What is the secret to a long lasting marriage?" My friend Cyndi said, "Yes, please tell." My mother answered, "Love but the biggest secret of them all is as simple as it is challenging. It is respect. Without respect, can lead into verbal warfare, and even the strongest of hearts can be challenged, and eventually broken down." So there you have it folks... Love & R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Their Anniversary was Thursday. No one mentioned it, sent a card, phoned, or verbally wished them a Happy Anniversary. This day is very special to my Mother, actually it is her favorite "holiday". So needless to say Dad & especially Mom, were very hurt that no one acknowledged. Little did they know that this was all part of our master plan. Little did she know that her children were planning a Surprise Party with dinner and gifts.


Mom called me Sat morning & said my brother had asked to borrow her car Sat at 3PM while his car was in the shop. Everyone who knows my Mother knows that Saturday's are her days so I'm thinking she may have been a little perturbed however, she would never admit that.
I asked, "So, what are you going to do today?"

"Nothing. Stay home. Pat has the car."

I said, "Have him drop you two off over here."

She said, "Okay."

Perfect!!! She had no idea what was in store for her.
She walked in and started weeping. She said, "I thought you forgot!" She was sooo touched.

Even the kids got in the action. I love that they understand that it is not the cost of the gift but the thought behind it. This was the best gift of the night. Two cans of Cashews.




My Daddy loves geography so, how perfect was this gift of a glob. It sits on a dark wood base. Very modern with an elegant flare.Kirkland's never fails with their beautiful picture frame with an iron tree in the center. Both Mom and Dad loved it.

Family photo time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin